This Gym Instructor Course is aimed at the learner who wants to pursue a career in the health and fitness industry as a fitness instructor in the context of gym-based exercise. You will learn how to plan and teach safe and effective exercise sessions within a gym environment, whilst gaining an understanding of the principles of training and the body’s systems and its response to training. This course is the first step on your journey to becoming a fitness professional. Gym instructing is a rewarding career which provides you with a sense of satisfaction and is highly enjoyable.
Who would benefit
Excellent route for staff new to the industry and for those who wish to develop their skills in inducting customers to your leisure facility, enabling them to plan and supervise their workouts in a safe environment.
Candidates will cover:
- Anatomy and physiology including:
- the heart and circulatory system
- the respiratory system
- structure and function of the skeleton
- musculoskeletal system
- postural and core stability
- the nervous and energy systems and their relation to exercise
- How to maintain health, safety and welfare in a variety of fitness environments, including the safeguarding of children and vulnerable adults
- How to programme safe and effective exercise for a range of clients, the health benefits of physical activity and the importance of healthy eating
- How to communicate with clients effectively, and motivate clients to adhere to an exercise programme
- The skills and knowledge required to plan and prepare a gym-based exercise programme with apparently healthy adults – both individuals and groups. This may include young people in the 14-16 age range, provided they are part of a larger adult group. Client groups also covered are older adults, ante and postnatal clients and disabled clients provided the relevant contraindications and key safety guidelines are observed.
- How to become an effective gym instructor.
Format: Home study, 4day theory and practical course, and a 1 day practical & theory assessment.
Pre-requisites: Must be physically fit with the aptitude to work with people.